. . . is located in Newcastle, Maine about 50 miles
northeast of Portland on coastal Route One. It is the home of Gisela H.
Rhodes, her husband Vern and their horses, dogs and cat.
Horses and Humans -
Gisela's emphasis lies on the partnership with the horse
- only solid
horsemanship and respect for the equine and its nature will result in a
mutual satisfactory relationship.
Learning opportunities are abundant ... let's take
a look at what the horses offer and we will gain a deeper understanding
of our partner, the horse and ourselves.
Gisela started vaulting as a child in her native
Germany and rediscovered its benefits while developing a concept for
her Therapeutic Riding Program Special Equestrians, Inc.
Interactive vaulting is her favorite activity for group sessions. In
1998 she introduced the German concept of therapeutic vaulting,
developed by A. Kroeger and C. Kluewer, to NARHA and
spearheaded the development of Interactive Vaulting
standards and the certification for NARHA Interactive Vaulting
2008 she received the NARHA National Volunteer
Leadership Award for her efforts.
In her lessons she concentrates on body awareness of the
rider and correct training of the horse. She incorporates yoga, a
longtime passion, which helps to overcome many physical and mental
Gisela is available to teach national and international
- Lungeing and Double Lungeing
- NARHA Interactive Vaulting OWSC
- NARHA Registered Instructor OWSC
- Customized Interactive Vaulting Workshops &
- Masters Degree in Education
- NARHA Interactive Vaulting Instructor & Lead
- NARHA Advanced Instructor & Lead Evaluator
- FN Longierabzeichen Kl. IV (German Lungeing
- FN Voltigierbetreuer (German Vaulting Instructor)
Gisela served 6 years on the Board of the Equine
Facilitated Mental Health Association, a section of NARHA, and 2 years
on the Executive Committee of FRDI. Currently she supports FRDI as its
- North American Riding for the Handicapped Association NARHA
- Federation of Riding for the Disabled International FRDI